Sunday, April 1, 2012

Will Kate Winslet's Comments Upset Celine Dion?

Kate Winslet feels "like throwing up" when she hears 'My Heart will Go On'.The love theme from Kate's most successful film, 'Titanic' - sung by Celine Dion - was a huge hit around the world, but the actress admits she has to hide her real feelings every time she hears it.She told MTV News: "I feel like throwing up when I hear it. No, I shouldn't say that. No, actually, I do feel like throwing up."

"I wish I could say, 'Oh listen, everybody! It's the Celine Dion song!' But I don't. I just have to sit there, you know, kind of straight-faced with a massive internal eye roll."Kate's comments are sure to upset Celine, who has previously said she is very close to the song.She said: "My Heart Will Go On is for me a classic. And to be part of a classic is something I feel very proud of."

'Titanic' has just been re-released in 3-D, and Kate appeared at the film's premiere at London's Royal Albert Hall earlier this week, but admits she would not be staying to see the film's intimate scene between her and Leonardo DiCaprio's character.Asked how she would feel seeing herself nude on the big screen, she responded: "Terrible, wouldn't you? I'm not going to look, I'll be in the bar by that point."

"No, I shouldn't say that," Winslet added, thinking through her response before coming to this conclusion: "No, actually, I do feel like throwing up."

Since its release in 1997, the film has stuck with Winslet wherever she goes. It was the movie that helped her sky-rocket to the A-list, after all, and no one is likely to forget Dion's iconic song from "Titanic," set to be re-released in 3-D on April 4. Kate Winslet considers her role in “Titanic” a bit of a shipwreck.

As the 1997 Oscar-winning Best Picture embarks on a 3D voyage to theaters, Winslet remains critical of her performance in the epic romance that set sail her career in Hollywood.

“My American accent could’ve been much better. My acting could’ve been a lot better,” she said to MTV News.

"I wish I could say, 'Oh listen, everybody! It's the Celine Dion song!' But I don't," Winslet admitted. "I just have to sit there, you know, kind of straight-faced with a massive internal eye roll."

Winslet went on to explain that every time she walks into a bar or a restaurant with a pianist, they never miss an opportunity to start playing the notes. "It's thrilling for people to surprise me with the Celine Dion song," she laughed.

But they not only play the tune for her, they also encourage the Oscar winner to sing it herself. "I did a talk show recently in Italy and they actually had a live pianist who started gently playing the theme song. I was not even gently, rather severely, urged to go and sing it as though I had in fact sung it myself in the first place. It was like, 'No! I'm not going to do that.' They're like, 'Oh no, come on it will be funny.' No, it won't be funny. At all. And I'm not going to."

Unfortunately for the actress, it's not just the theme song that haunts her. Whenever she boards a boat, she's the butt of jokes.

"Honestly, I actually now get onto boats and say, 'No jokes, OK? No jokes. Can we just move on from that? And if you have any jokes, let's just get them out of the way right now. Thank you. Anyone? Jokes, jokes? OK, moving on.' And then they still tell jokes," Winslet said. The most common joke is asking her to head to the front of the boat with them to reenact the iconic scene between hers and Leonardo DiCaprio's characters on the rail. To that she replies, "Oh, yeah! Oh, that one! Oh, don't worry, it's my party piece. Sure, come on up, bring your granny."

But Winslet is actually an amazing sport about the jokes. She understands how deeply the film touched its audience. And now that it will be on the big screen again, it can reach a whole new generation — including her children who will see it for the very first time.

"What's negative about it? Really, nothing at all," she said of the 3-D treatment. "It's very different and much more present. It's bigger — if you can believe that — but it is and you really do feel like you're in it."

Audiences will be able to relive the tragic love story — or experience for the first time — when "Titanic" it hits theaters in 3-D on April 4.

Nevertheless, Winslet, who co-starred with Leonardo DiCaprio, was nominated for an Oscar for her performance as Rose.And the film grossed more than $600 million, making it America’s second highest-grossing box-office hit.

The 36-year-old actress has received countless award nominations since her 15-year voyage through Hollywood after the epic romance’s debut on the big screen. She was the youngest person to earn six Academy Award nominations and she won the Academy Award for Best Actress for the 2008 film “The Reader.”

Now the story of a ship’s tragic disaster and the famous on-board love story will return to the big screen on April 4. The debut coincides with the 100th anniversary of the Titanic’s maiden trip from England in April 1912.“It looks very different. I mean, it’s still as wonderful and as epic as it always was. But it does feel bigger, you know, bigger somehow even than it did then, so it’s very exciting,” she said.The actress, who was 21 during filming, claims she is content with the way she looks now.

“I think I look nicer now,” she said. “I prefer myself as a 36-year-old. It's really weird ’cause when you’re 21, you think, ‘Oh God, when I’m 36, oh God, that’s nearly 40 and I'll look really old and wrinkly by then.’ And actually I quite like the way I look. I feel okay about myself these days.”

No comments:

Post a Comment