Monday, January 16, 2012

Who Will Ricky Gervais Chide At Golden Globes?

One of the many joys in watching live awards shows is the anything-can-happen factor. We can predict winners and losers and attendees and such, but we really never know for sure who will say what and when, or whether there will be any technical difficulties, wardrobe malfunctions or other unexpected excitement.
With regard to the Golden Globes — which typically seem to allow room for more surprises than say the Oscars or the Grammys — the most unpredictable and interesting factor going into the show this year is host Ricky Gervais. Who will he poke fun at this year? Our hope: everyone. We love our celebrities and all the movies and television shows they make, but so much of the Hollywood machine is so exaggerated and ridiculous, it's great to watch someone who is as intelligent as he is funny take the industry to task for its most-outlandish offenses.

Gervais has said that just like last year, he will be pulling no punches tonight.
"[Am I] nervous? No. What's the worst that can happen?" he told reporters at a Television Critics Association press event for his HBO show "Life's Too Short." "I end my career once a week if you read the press. I do things that could end my career now. That's my extreme sport. If you get fun with it, which I do and I demand, and you get your own way and are happy with what you've done, then nothing can happen to you. You're bulletproof. Everything I say, I can justify it, I can stand by it, as I do every joke I did last year, then I don't care. I don't care if you're offended."
This is exactly what we want to hear from Gervais. He doesn't single out anyone maliciously; he does it all in the name of entertainment.
"I'm going to do a monologue about what happened during the year, and then introduce six or seven people as I did last year. I've got nothing against any of those people in the room," he said. "I've worked with many of them. I like many of them. I admire them. They're just gags. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or give them a bad night or undermine the moral fabric of America. I'm a comedian."
Given what we know about Gervais and those we expect to be present at the Globes, here are a few things we think he might address:
Movies: A controversial statement of some kind about "The Help," something cheeky about "The Artist" having no color or sound, poking fun at the heavy hitters in the Best Actor category, the old guard (George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio) vs. the young upstarts and their multiple films nominated (Ryan Gosling and Michael Fassbender). We hope he loved "Bridesmaids" as much as we did and gives it extra attention.
TV: The new "Two and a Half Men," Charlie Sheen's new career, Steve Carell leaving "The Office," the nudity and sex featured in HBO shows, the oddities of "American Horror Story," lack of enthusiasm for "Glee." We have no idea what shows Gervais might love; maybe "30 Rock" and "Breaking Bad"? Here's hoping we find out via his quips.
Other pop-culture topics: Kim Kardashian's marriage is long over, but Gervais likely has a fresh take; the royal wedding; British things vs. American things; the presidential election; Beyoncé and Jay-Z's new baby, Blue Ivy.

No comments:

Post a Comment